To enroll in A Career in Teaching Certification program, you must provide documentation of the following:
A BACHELOR’S DEGREE
Your degree must be from an accredited institution of higher education as required by the Texas Education Agency and the Texas Administration Code.
You may use the following databases to find out if your institution is accredited by the U.S. Department of Education (USDE) and/or the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
USDE website to check accreditation https://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/.
THECB website for acceptable accrediting organizations http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=CBC81CA0-1C9E-11E8-BC500050560100A9
PASSED CONTENT TEST
In addition to meeting the basic admissions requirements, you have at least one content test passed for enrollment. While you can continue to test on a limited basis once enrolled, A Career in Teaching strongly recommends that you have all content and/or supplemental test passed in your desired area of certification prior to enrollment. Through the PACT route, you are able to test up to five times in each certification area. Information about how to register for a test can be found here: http://www.tx.nesinc.com/PageView.aspx?f=GEN_Steps.html
Applicants must also:
· Have a personal e-mail account and access to a personal (not school) computer.
· Demonstrate professionalism during all written correspondence and oral communication with A Career in Teaching.
REVIEW OF CERTIFICATION STANDING
A Career in Teaching will review your TEA account and take the following into consideration when evaluating for admission:
· Years of service taught as a teacher
· Previous Educator Preparation Program participation
· Certification testing record
ARE YOU CURRENTLY ENROLLED IN COLLEGE?
If you are currently completing your final semester of coursework toward a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education as required by Texas Education Agency and the Texas Administration Code, and you currently meet the identified admission requirements, then you may be eligible for admission on a contingent basis.
· Spring graduates may apply January 1 – May 1
· Summer graduates may apply June 1 – August 1
· Fall graduates may apply September 1 – December 1
To qualify for contingency admittance, you must provide the following documentation along with your application and evaluation fee by the above deadlines:
· Copy of final semester schedule of classes
· Letter of completion from academic advisor or registrar’s office. (This letter needs to indicate that you are currently completing your final semester and you are eligible for graduation.)
· Official transcripts through previous semester
· Content Area Passed
Once you are accepted as a contingency candidate in the educator preparation program, you may continue to test on a limited basis and begin your coursework. Contingent candidates who wish to transition into full program admission must meet all general admissions requirements and must provide A Career in Teaching an official transcript reflecting a conferred degree prior to receiving a Statement of Eligibility.
DID YOU GRADUATE OUTSIDE THE U.S.?
Graduates from a university outside of the United States or U.S. territories must provide:
· Proof of oral English language proficiency by having a score of 89 or higher on the Internet based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) test, with an acceptable passing score of 24 on the Speaking portion, 22 on the Listening portion, 22 on the Reading portion and 21 on the Writing portion. If your undergraduate or graduate degree was earned at an institution of higher education in a country outside of the United States but appears on the Attached Graphic, you can be except from the TOEFL iBT test, click here.
· Proof of competency in reading, writing and mathematics through the THEA/TASP, ACT, SAT or TSI Assessment. Minimum scores are:
· An original Foreign Credential Review from an approved agency. A Career in Teaching can not accept transcripts from a foreign university. TEA provides a list of foreign credential review companies that will be accepted by A Career in Teaching. The evaluation must include a U.S. equivalency for each credential, a course-by-course analysis, and a GPA of credit hours.
Copyright © 2018 A Career in Teaching 2313 Harvey St. Suite 3 McAllen, Texas 78501 - All Rights Reserved.
A Career in Teaching (956) 278-8011